Black Bean Burgers
You need these black bean burgers in your life! A couple weeks ago, my roomie and I made these together for dinner. Her 2017 resolution was to begin making healthier substitutions and give up meat, so we brainstormed this burger recipe and experimented in the kitchen, while listening to Kelsea Ballerini (my fav). We were super excited about how simple, yet delicious and nutritious our can’t-believe-it’s-not-a-burger burgers turned out. If you’re a plain Jane, you can enjoy this burger with just the patty and bun, but I recommend loading it up like we did.The Fresno Bee was also a fan of these locally made Black Bean Burgers. Check out the video they shot here or scroll down for the recipe.
For the Patties (Makes 5-6):
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Salt & black pepper, to taste
- Drain can of beans, reserving some of the liquid from the can.
- Add this slightly liquified can of beans to a food processor, along with the remaining ingredients.
- Pulse until well-combined, about 2-3 minutes.
- Using your hands, mold into patties.
- Drizzle olive oil in a frying pan over medium-heat.
- Cook each patty evenly on both sides, about 4-5 minutes per side, adding oil as needed to prevent sticking and burning.
- Once all black bean burger patties are cooked through and evenly browned, you are all set to build your burger with your favorite condiments and toppings. I used soft toasted buns, shredded lettuce, sliced tomatoes, sautéed red onions and [extra] guac.